Monday, November 2, 2015

Horses

This past Monday, I worked with my below-grade level group in our literacy group time. We reread a book called Horses, the students loved the book. Once we finished reading the book we were to make a flow chart of the story. I did not realize how hard it would be for the students because they have completed this flow chart many times with other stories that they have read during literacy groups. So, I thought to myself what in the world is going on. The flow chart was a disaster for them so I read the book again. I had not dealt with the group the week before when they first began the book because I was teaching science while they were doing literacy.

I read the book and stopped to check for understanding. Once, we finished we then attempted to do the flow chart again. Honestly, I thought to myself that this time would be worse. In actuality it was so much better, I guess the group was just having an off day.

Here is an example of the flow chart :
Once the flow chart was finished on Monday, on Thursday students were to take the information that they had put on the chart and create a detailed paragraph about the story. This group does so well following this flow chart into making their paragraphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment