Is it safe to say that life is at its all time high level of stress for us that are facing, the task of creating a unit plan for 435/436.
I myself have gained the understanding that some schools/counties have pre-made or programmed material that must be taught in the classroom. This puts a damper on my free-range idea during my student teaching experience. To me that is somewhat scary because I will have to teach what is required and also not loose myself because I am having to teach the pre-made material. I am hoping that it is possible to teach what is required and also put my own spin on things.
I don't think that the pre-made instructional materials are the best for all students. As we know all students learn different and develop differently as it comes to education. We have the "goldens" who are above grade-level, "emeralds" who are grade-level. and our "rubies" who are below grade-level.
I am thinking forward to how to differentiate my instruction in the classroom based off of what I will be teaching them. I have to be honest and admit I do not see much differentiation in the lessons at my placement. What I think that is being brought forth as differentiation is separating the students into groups for literacy based on their level, and this is also the same way for RTI in which the students are separated for reading and math.
I want to be intentional in my differentiation and assume the position of following the NCPTS. Providing intentional and appropriate differentiation follows 1a, 2a, 2c, 2d, 4a, and 4c of the standards.
I found a really great video on youtube: I went and followed a great channel called Smartatmath:
This video focuses on differentiation in the classroom, so if you are struggling with how to implement this into your classroom you should watch this video.
Preach Trotter Trotter, Preach! I feel the same exact way in that both my reading and math lessons are all remade, scripted, and boring. My students are also divided into small groups based off ability and test scores. I help to find a way to make things fun, after all it is kindergarten and shouldn't be so serious, but I certainly feel constricted with my lesson planning. I am up for a challenge though because we may have the same constrictions depending now what school and grade we end up teaching in real life! Love the video!
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Taylor Lanning
I know pre-written lesson plans are tough, but lesson plans that are without structure are just as tough! I do not have any rules to follow aside from teaching about Helen Keller and I am struggling! I do, however, see what you mean by the lessons not being differentiated for every student! That can be a major issue!
ReplyDeleteTaylor,
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are already boosting your knowledge concerning differentiation. This is huge for you to do now rather than later. Differentiation can be small things you do to help students be more successful. Remember - fair doesn't always mean equal. Try to wedge-in your own personal perspective so you can "own" the lessons when you teach them. We understand you have to follow the scripted program.