Wednesday, November 18, 2015

In the Classroom!

This past Monday, was really no different than it has been. I have noticed that everyday that I am in the classroom, that the students are looking at me more like their teacher. This of course is so great, because I am able to make connections with my students, and it has been eye-opening on how it has changed since I started in the classroom in August until now.

Monday I had literacy groups again, and I have noticed that my above grade level students have more behavior management problems, than my below-grade level students. It's sad to say but I love to teach my ruby reds, so much more than my emeralds or goldens. I think there are behavior issues because the work is not challenging enough for them. Monday I had to verbally express that the emeralds were being very rude, and not putting first things first during the literacy group.

I expressed to them that it is important that we listen so that we learn. I used a trick that I use in my Sunday school classroom, to get children's attention, I said "ears open, mouths shut!" This seemed to work very well with the students in my classroom, when they begin to get out of hand, I would say "ears open, and they would reply with mouths shut" and they would quite down.

I know without a doubt that I will have to plan my instruction to be more rigorous in my upper literacy groups. I wanted to learn more about how to manage behavior effectively, while also making sure understanding was being taught. I don't want my students to suffer because of behavior mismanagement.

I found an article, Education World: Behavior Management Tips

This article gives great examples that can be used in the classroom, that may help alleviate the problems arise from misbehavior.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor! I bet the children with behavior issues are just bored so I think you have a smart idea to plan more rigorous instruction. I love your trick! I am going to have to try that out on my babies! Thanks for the article!
    Sincerely,
    Taylor Lanning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,

    To me, it always seems like the students who are "higher" tend to talk to the most and do tend to have the most behavior problems because the work does come easier. Hopefully there are some things you can do to help them behave better and listen more as you said. I love the idea of ears open and mouths shut. That may be a trick I can even use on my 7th graders when they become too talkative because listening is very important.

    ReplyDelete