I too have a love/hate relationship with literacy groups. I love being with the students and helping them learn, but I have fallen into the rut of doing the same old thing with each week. I just want you to see the steps that are taken each week during literacy groups.
Monday:
- Vocabulary
- Teacher Read-Aloud of text
- During and after reading ask comprehension questions
- Do something that applies the skill being taught
Tuesday
- Popcorn Reading
- Fill out flow chart
Wednesday
- Choral Reading
- Finish up flow chart
Thursday
- Partner Reading
- Use completed flow chart to write a three paragraph story
Friday
- Individual Read
- Complete three paragraph story
The reading style may differ each week on placement, but the other is about the same. I want to make it new and exciting for them again. Thankfully, I am able to do that in my unit plan for my literacy groups. My students have now received their Ipads, so for next spring the students will be creating flags, listening to rap songs for children, and many other things I have planned for them. Hopefully, I planning for their needs but also for their enjoyment as well. I can look back many times from my educational career and see a lack of luster in instruction. I don't know about you but I want my students to want to come to school.
It seems like you have some amazing, and big goals for your students next semester, I am excited to try and brainstorm ideas to make instruction fun with you. Since I am only one grade below you, we can use a lot of the same ideas!
ReplyDeleteTaylor, I have tried this neat technique with my students, and I believe you could switch things up by using it as well! Instead of asking comprehension questions after you read on Monday, have students assess themselves. Give each students 2 sticky notes of 3 colors. Create a key for the colors of the sticky notes. For example, red being something they did not understand, green being something they connected with, and yellow being a word they did not know when reading. Starting out, give them time after reading to go back and put the sticky notes where they want. However, gear your students towards placing the sticky notes AS they read! This will ensure that they are being active readers! After each student has placed their sticky notes, then have them share one item of each color! [Allow other students to answer their questions before you do!] They will be excited to "know it all" and have some form of control!
ReplyDeleteSarah
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI am glad to see you are already picking up on this: "Literacy groups has now become something they have to do rather than something they want to do." This is a red flag. I appreciate you trying different strategies to get the focus back to learning. Remember...you have classroom iPads...this could be huge for you and your students...